Monday, October 8, 2007

New Coffee Mug

As many of you know, I am a pretty regular coffee drinker (two cups in the morning, one in the afternoon), and I have a habit of choosing a favorite coffee mug and using only that coffee mug for long stretches. All through high school and college, there was the Jimmy Buffett Margaritaville mug, and when I lived in Austria I used the same green and white checkered mug every morning. In Boston there was the little white mug with a thin Carolina blue stripe at the top.

My first year in Baltimore, while Emily was still in Boston, I used a St. John's High School mug, because that is where she was teaching. Most recently, I've been using (thanks to Kelly, Nicole and Jim) a ceramic version of the "We Are Happy to Serve You" coffee cup you're always seeing on Law & Order, or else (thanks again to Kelly) a mug from Cairo.

This tiresome litany is my way of introducing the mug that has become my morning regular and will forever be linked with my stay in Jerusalem:


I couldn't have imagined a better mug: the banner telling me to enjoy my day, the brand name that has no regard for the candy bar by the same name (which is sold all over Jerusalem). The bonus is that Kit Kat Koffee Mills is on my street, Salah ed-Din, which is also listed on the mug. It may be a trivial thing, but there's just something comforting about having a favorite mug.

No comments: