Friday, September 21, 2007

A Walk to the Damascus Gate

The Albright Institute where I'm living is about a five minute walk to the Damascus Gate, which is the main entrance into the Muslim Quarter of the Old City. The gate dates as far back as the Roman period, but the present structure was built during the Islamic period.

I took a walk down there today and brought along my camera to take some videos and photos of the street vendors. It gets pretty crowded, but I've been told the congestion is actually less than usual since it is Ramadan. Anyway, here were some of the stops on my walk.







This last picture is especially intended for my brother Brendan, who has a knack for sniffing out pizza places in every situation. (He once convinced a Domino's deliveryman to deliver a pizza to our campsite on Mt. Mitchell.) Brendan, you'll be happy to know that this restaurant is directly across the street from the Albright. I haven't tried it yet, but it looks pretty authentic, right?



2 comments:

BigBro said...

Ahhh, I have taught you well. I sense the force is strong with you. You definately have to tell me how it is.

Unknown said...

Hey Andrew, how's it going? Have you visited the Holy Temple yet? I hope you get all the information you need for school. Best wishes, Francis