Friday, November 16, 2007

Indanis!

With Thanksgiving coming up, my thoughts have been turning to some Davis family traditions from this time of year. Of course, this blog is supposed to be about my time in Jerusalem, but since I'll be missing Thanksgiving because of my stay in Jerusalem, I thought this would be an appropriate place to share some holiday reflections.

For one thing, my family's house in Raleigh has rather distinctive Thanksgiving decoration. Have a look at the kitchen door:

My gifted hands made the Indian, whose head is growing out of his chest, and my little brother contributed the paper-plate portraits. I don't know who made that turkey, but I am very proud to say that I am responsible for the yellow poster on the bottom. Here's a closer look so you can really take in its brilliance:

You may be asking: Andrew, was this a term project in a grad school seminar? It wasn't. Believe it or not, I made this in elementary school, and it has been taped to the kitchen door every Thanksgiving since. (In that time, I have learned that the poster has a few misspellings, such as "bee came," which is actually one word.) The last time I was abroad during Thanksgiving, my mother sent me an old-fashioned telegram with this exact text on it. As she later told me, it took some explaining to convince the Western Union clerk that for this telegram, the wording was not incorrect at all. It was just right.

Another thing I'll miss next week is, of course, the food. We have a really fine chef here at the Albright named Hisham (his father Omar was the chef here before him), who will prepare a traditional Thanksgiving meal, and there are some European fellows here who have never had an American Thanksgiving meal before, so it'll be fun to share in their new experience. But nothing beats the meal made by your own family, and I know I'll be homesick when I call Raleigh this Thursday. In particular, I'll miss the Davis family tradition of going around the table after we eat and saying what each of us is thankful for. If I were there on Thursday I'd say how thankful I am for all of my family and friends and especially for Emily, my wonderful wife and best friend.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

No comments: